8 days left to the Janus project and just managed to squeeze this into a post-prandial gap in Christmas activities. Strange how Christmas has contorted our view of the ancient Elvish race, reducing them to Santa’s helpers. Fortunately Tolkien has helped to set the record straight and Icelanders still honour the ancient ways. Happy Christmas everyone.
|We don’t do credit to ourselves
when we demean the ancient race of Elves
by flaunting them in Christmas films.
Better by far the Lord of the Rings.
There in the Middle-Earth of Rivendell
The Elves sailed north to Nordic lands,
And now they drift, kissed by feathered sighs of wind
23rd December 2013 – headline from the Independent
Notes: “Road project in Iceland delayed to protect ‘hidden’ elves.” Humans in Iceland are standing up for the rights of elves – and not because Father Christmas works them too hard. Elf advocates have joined forces with environmentalists to urge the Icelandic Road and Coastal Commission and local authorities to abandon a highway project because it might disturb the creatures’ habitat. The activists are particularly concerned about an elf church that sits on the potential site. The proposed highway would offer a direct route from the Alftanes peninsula, where President Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson has a home, to the Reykjavik suburb of Gardabaer. But the project has been halted until the Supreme Court of Iceland rules on a case brought by a group known as Friends of Lava
- Road project in Iceland delayed to protect ‘hidden’ elves (independent.co.uk)
- Judge puts brakes on road-building project because it could disrupt ELVES (mirror.co.uk)
- Iceland allows elves a place at discussion table regarding land use (doubtfulnews.com)
- Iceland’s hidden elves delay road projects | AP The Big Story (richarddawkins.net)
- Elves Cited Among Reasons To Halt Iceland Highway Project (personalliberty.com)
- Iceland’s hidden elves delay road projects (cnsnews.com)