So this is the last verse of the Janus Project but the blog continues for a while since it only started in June whilst my writing started in January 2013. So I’ll continue to post verse from the same day last year to complete the blog collection. For this last verse from the last day of the year I was inspired by the very simple message from Archbishop Justin Welby who advocated a resolution for everyone to change the world just a bit where we are.
Take the First Bite
|Archbishop Justin Welby
expressed a message of hope for the New Year
based on a quote that dealing with poverty
is, in fact, not an act of charity
but an act of justice.
A message vehemently expressed from the heart.
A message that started with Nelson Mandela
– one smart fella that –
who was aware that change came from within.
You can change yourself
but only attempt to influence
Question: How do you eat an elephant?
Its size is the deterrent
31st December 2013 – headline from the Guardian
Notes: “Archbishop of Canterbury says emulate Nelson Mandela in tackling poverty.” The Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, has urged people to adopt a New Year’s resolution of tackling poverty in their own neighbourhoods. But the archbishop said in his first New Year’s message as head of the Church of England that many people were struggling in spite of many signs of hope. He recommended taking up a pledge this year to try to “change the world a bit where we are”. “I want to suggest this year that each of us makes a resolution to try and change the world a bit where we are,” he said in his message. “Nelson Mandela said that dealing with poverty is not an act of charity, it’s an act of justice, he said every generation has the chance to be a great generation and we can be that great generation.”
- Archbishop of Canterbury says emulate Nelson Mandela in tackling poverty (oddonion.com)
- Archbishop of Canterbury says emulate Nelson Mandela in tackling poverty (theguardian.com)
- Archbishop Welby says ’emulate Mandela’ in 2014 message (arunbabyveranakunnel.wordpress.com)
- Archbishop of Canterbury: Make a resolution to the change the world (christiantoday.com)
- Justin Welby: ‘change the world’ and be more like Mandela in 2014 (blueandgreentomorrow.com)
- Archbishop’s new year message (standard.co.uk)