|Boys follow girls, and yet they deny it,
in using their dialect. Why don’t you try it?
Increase your pitch at the end of a line.
It’s supposed to show caring, that you empathise,
But to some you seem ‘ditzy’, shallow or dim.
when each statement’s a question phrased by the pitch
It’s the ‘uptalk’ of girls in California
It’s derogatorily known as ‘village girl’ speak
Next time you hear it just keep in mind
Don’t think automatically that the speaker’s a clown.
6th December 2013 – headline from the BBC
Notes: “More men speaking in girls’ ‘dialect’, study shows.” More young men in California rise in pitch at the end of their sentences when talking, new research shows. This process is known as “uptalk” or “valleygirl speak” and has in the past been associated with young females, typically from California or Australia. People who speak uptalk are often misunderstood to be insecure, shallow or slightly dim, according to the research team, who say this was not necessarily the case. They added that “uptalk” had negative connotations which made men less likely to admit to using it, but what was clear was that it was spreading.
- Rush Limbaugh Identified The Chickification Syndrome: More men speaking in girls’ ‘dialect’, California study shows (aconservativeedge.wordpress.com)
- The end is near (christopherfountain.wordpress.com)
- More men speaking in girls’ ‘dialect’, study shows (wnd.com)
- Uptalk Is for Everyone, at Least in California (nymag.com)
- California boys are starting to ‘talk like girls’ according to university researchers (mirror.co.uk)